Leeds City College Sports related Social Action Projects
Expression of Interest – Social Action
Leeds City College has received funding, from Sport England and the #iwill fund, working in collaboration with Voluntary Action Leeds and Yorkshire Sport Foundation, to help young people make a positive difference in their community through social action.
The project is a fantastic opportunity to create sport-related social action projects that benefit the local community and to increase voluntary opportunities for young people under the age of 20.
There are a vast range of social action projects that can be sport related and Leeds City College will be working with students across 5 course areas to create projects.
Leeds City College students have a number of expertise and skill-sets that will be beneficial to community organisations and this is demonstrated in the examples below.
The examples demonstrate how sport and physical activity can be involved in each project however these examples are just a guide.
Each social action project will comprise of students, from one or more of the departments listed, who will work with a community organisation to deliver a social action project. Whilst students undertake their social action project, they will be supported by staff from Leeds City College.
During the social action project, students will complete a series of phases including an application to participate, proposal development, implementation and evaluation. Therefore, community organisations will be able to liaise with the students prior to the project, in order to define the parameters.
Students will have the opportunity to develop skills in a real world setting that will increase future employment prospects and instil the confidence and desire to take on longer-term volunteering commitments.
Leeds City College will work with Voluntary Action Leeds to develop a Digital Badge for Social Action; students will be able to evidence their skills, experience and achievements in order to achieve this.
Digital Badges give the students formal recognition of their volunteering, and the ability to share that online :- CV’s , online application forms for employment, college or university and on social media.
Leeds City College are collaborating with Voluntary Action Leeds and Yorkshire Sport Foundation to set up the rewarding projects that are linked with sport and physical activity. We are seeking organisations that can host a Social Action Project for a minimum of six hours and a maximum of 30 hours. Projects will begin in February.
All successful partners will be paid between £100 – £200 for hosting and facilitating the students Social Action Project.
Questions for the EOI
- Do you have previous experience of hosting social action projects or volunteering and if so, what did you do?
- What kind of social action projects could your organisation offer? (Please refer to the social action project examples for ideas)
- When could the social action project take place? Please list the months that you would be able to host a project (Projects can take place at any time between March – November however preferably term time due to student availablity)
- Social action projects will be a minimum of 6 hours but can be up to 30 hours. The projects are flexible to take place over 1 single day or multiple days. How many hours and days could the Social Action Project take place over?
- What support can your organisation provide during and after the volunteering days to support the young people in submitting their evidence for digital badges?
Please email your Expressions of Interest to email@example.com asap or contact Lisa Carlin, Social Action Co-Ordinator, Leeds City College, Technology Campus for any further info required: (0113) 216 2115
*Previous experience working with young people, volunteers or social action is not mandatory.