From 11 November 2021, all staff entering a care home need to be vaccinated, unless exempt.
Following the publication of operational guidance, the Department of Health and Social Care has written to the NHS and published FAQs on how this new regulation will be delivered operationally. All relevant providers of NHS funded services will need to:
- actively support staff to have their first COVID-19 vaccine by 16 September 2021 (as eight weeks is required between the two doses);
- carry out proactive workforce planning to ensure:
- only staff who are vaccinated, or exempt, are deployed to a care home from 11 November
- service provision is not disrupted once this regulation comes into force; and
- ensure that relevant staff can demonstrate to care home staff, via the NHS COVID Pass service, that they have either had two doses or are exempt
The FAQs will be updated on a regular basis, to support systems and providers to implement this new regulation.