To vote in person at a polling station in the local elections in May, you will need to have an accepted form of photo identification. The list of accepted IDs to check if you have one already can be seen at Voter photo ID. This includes, but is not limited to:

  • Passports
  • Drivers License
  • Blue Badge holders
  • Certain bus and travel passes

What if I don’t have one of these ID’s?

If you don’t have one of the above forms of identification, you can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate. Click here for more information and to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate, or call the Electoral Commission’s Helpline on 0800 328 0280.

The deadline to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate for the local elections on 4th May, is Tuesday 25th April.

I have a postal vote, will this affect me?

This new ID requirement is only if you want to vote in person at a polling station, it does not affect you at all if you vote by post. More information can be found on the Electoral Commission’s website, or by calling 0800 3280280.